Thursday 14 June 2012

The King Kong "Spider Pit" Missing Creature. Part 2

Hi, and welcome!

Here's a continuation of the build up of the spider pit octopus monster:





Here you can see the webbing that I began to create (in my earlier post) for the mouth.
I also decided to add two eye stalks anstead of having the eyes mounted directly onto the body.



Here (to tidy up the bottom of the puppet) I used dental dam (I've heard it mentioned so many times ... I had to try it), and then added the lumps and bumps by dipping a toothpick into latex and tapping it on the desired spots.



I did the same to tidy things up between the tentacles.
Note the different texture for the skin on the body. I used 8mm balls to create this texture by pressing them into clay and then applying latex in several coats to create a skin cast.



I built up the eye stalks with wire, then wrapped them in yarn, followed by a coating of latex.
The eyes are red BB balls.
I used the end of heated wire to make tiny holes in the "eyes" (so they can be moved by inserting a pointed object into them), then just painting "pupils" on them.
I used cotton wool soaked in latex to make the eye lids (I waited for the latex to half set before trying to add details with a sculpting tool).



Eventually it was ready to paint, so I mixed acrylic paints and latex together and painted a dark base coat (I used part of a sponge to paint it, because latex spoils brushes pretty quick), then added a green-ish coat, followed by blue highlights.



The finished stop motion spider pit puppet.

If you read this, I hope it was of some use to you.

Go build a monster and have fun!




Next build up...


A spider, for the pit!









1 comment:

  1. Where did you track down the Dental Dam Lee? Also I don't see a " Follow " button for your blog? I'd like it to show up in my blog feed.

    ReplyDelete